Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center
Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center’s Medical Records department has a Full-time (40hours/week) opening for an onsite Coding Specialist I. This position is eligible for our full benefits package including health insurance, employer matching retirement plans, paid time off accruals, flex spending account and more!
Responsible for analyzing medical information obtained from provider orders for ancillary tests and coding diagnostic phrases into coded form. Ensures ethical and accurate coding in accordance with all regulatory requirements and AHIMA Standard of Ethical Coding. Responsible for deficiency analysis and timely submission of birth certificate and paternity information to the state.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following functions:
Deficiency Analysis, Record Completion and Report Processing
- Retrieves records from nursing units.
- Reviews records for incomplete documentation
- Ensures medical record is complete by assisting in obtaining documentation such as histories and physicals, operative notes, discharge summaries, queries, orders, diagnoses, test results, signatures, etc. Communicates with providers and ancillary departments to obtain required information in order to complete the medical record timely.
- Generates reports on incomplete/delinquent records
- Generates other reports as requested.
- Assists with copying documents, filing and other clerical functions.
- Analyzes medical information contained in the medical record and/or provider order.
- Assigns codes and abstracts diagnoses and patient information from outpatient encounter information and provider orders.
- Enters data into the facility information system.
- Verifies abstracted fields for accuracy and completeness, correcting as appropriate based upon information obtained from the medical record.
- Maintains 95% or greater accuracy in abstracting, code assignment while meeting or exceeding productivity requirements.
- Meets or exceeds coding productivity standards and works as a team to maintain Not Final Coded Days at or below three days
- Monitors daily reports to assure completing of all outpatient records requiring coding and abstracting.
- Prioritizes outpatient coding and abstracting responsibilities so that coding is kept current.
- Communicates with providers or provider office staff when documentation is unclear or insufficient to complete the coding process.
- Maintains coding proficiency through self-directed continuing education. Maintains knowledge of current trends, updates and changes in coding policy and procedure.
Birth Certificate Processing
- Receives the completed Certificate of Live Birth information worksheet and the Paternity form (when applicable) from the Family Birthing Center.
- Enters the birth certificate information into the Colorado Vital Information System (COVIS) program and in the department Birth Register.
- When applicable, enters paternity information into the COVIS program and also faxes the forms to the Colorado Department of Health within ten days of birth.
- Mails the souvenir birth certificate to patients.
- Submits corrections of birth certificate errors, when appropriate.
Certified Coding Associate
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED)
- Associate degree
- ICD training
- Completed course in medical terminology.
- Completed course in anatomy and physiology.
- Healthcare experience working in a medical records department, patient financial service department or provider practice.
- Customer service experience.
- Experience with electronic health records, encoder, computer assisted coding system.
Apply Online: http://www.hrrmc.com/Careers/Career-Opportunities.aspx