Mountain Family Health Centers
WORKING AT MOUNTAIN FAMILY
At Mountain Family, we don’t merely talk about health. We live it.
Here, you can take advantage of incentives to live a healthier life, whether that means quitting smoking, losing weight, improving fitness, or another personal health goal you want to set.
Why? Because we are on a mission to improve health, and because healthier, happier employees improve both their own lives and those of everyone around them. It raises the social success, efficiency and energy of the whole organization.
Mountain Family Health Centers does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, citizenship status, veteran status, disability, gender variance, genetic information, or other legally protected status in access to, or participation in, its programs, services or activities. Mountain Family Health Centers does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
The Health Information Specialist has an advanced knowledge of Health Information Management. The Health Information Specialist is responsible for ensuring data integrity within Health Information Management by utilizing his/her knowledge and experience in electronic document management systems and health information.
- Demonstrates expertise in Health Information Management processes.
- Proficient in medical record procedures
- Proficicent in specialty referral procedures
- Able to teach, mentor and direct all processes and systems in place within the service
- Assumes responsibility for the delivery of safe, competent, professional practices and customer service in the department
- Ability to adapt and prioritize workload
- Plans, develops and technically evaluates medical records systems to attain organizational goals.
- Reviews department performance, implement changes as needed to improve services, simplify work flow and assure compliance with regulatory compliance.
- Keeps Patient Services Manager informed of department activities, needs and issues/concerns.
- Maintains tracking systems for all diagnostics and specialty referrals
- Initiates and supports new programs, ideas and processes
- Electronically file all patient information received via fax and scanner into NextGen’s Document Management.
- Process all medical record requests & EHR tasks within 72 hours. Retrieve and print out documents from the EHR as requested. Records prior to 05/29/07 will be retrieved and copied from paper charts.
- Request documents from outside providers and track to ensure that we have received them. 15. Access outside databases to retrieve needed documents for providers in preparation of the patient’s visit.
- Process and track all specialty referrals.
- Track and update diagnostic results in Order Management.
- Answer phones and provide high quality customer service.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all medical records ensuring that no unauthorized person/persons have access to patient electronic medical records in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Follow up on all tasks assigned to Medical Records not completed each week.
- Coordinate and provide support to the Health Information Management Lead in the completion of assigned duties as outlined by the Patient Services Manager
- Provide lead support to the Health Information Management when instructed by the Patient Services Manager.
- Follows all MFHC policies, procedures and protocols as established by the DRC committee and Quality Team of MFHC.
Abstracts/Transcribes Medical Reports:
- Extract pertinent information from consultations, procedures, hospital ER and inpatient reports and other office records.
- Update the EMR. templates to include patient allergies, diagnostic testing, medicine list, patient history and surgical with a focus on cancers, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidemia, asthma, mental health diagnosis and past surgeries.
- Work new patient charts for two weeks out on appointments.
- Meet quality and productivity standards and deadlines established by employer (48 hours).
- Verify patient health information for accuracy and completeness.
- Have knowledge of, and be able to, perform all functions within the Health Information Management Department.
- Assist Health Information Management team when needed.
- Submit monthly productivity reports requested by the Patient Services Manager.
- Understand and comply with policies and procedures related to medicolegal matters, including confidentiality, amendment of medical records, release of information, patients’ rights, medical records as legal evidence, informed consent, etc.
- Recognize and report unusual circumstances and/or information with possible risk factors to appropriate risk management personnel.
- Demonstrate an understanding of policies, procedures, and priorities, seeking clarification as needed.
- Organize and prioritizes assigned work, and schedules time to accommodate work demands, turnaround time requirements, and commitments.
- Provide clerical/technical support as needed and as assigned.
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of HIPAA and other privacy regulations and release of information standards, and expertise in archival filing system methodologies.
- Assists in managing error investigation and resolution regarding census and MPI data.
- Maintain a positive, helpful attitude to patients/family, providers and co-workers.
- Seek to establish a working relationship with a positive attitude that enhances open communication.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and commitment to the common goal of providing excellent patient care.
- Participate in and support team meetings and activities.
- Participate in internal education opportunities.
- Sick time does not exceed MFHC policy parameters.
- Follow through on assignments to completion.
- Meets standards of professional and ethical conduct.
- Utilize appropriate chain of command.
- Does not allow social interaction to interfere with health center workload.
- Consistently demonstrate strict adherence to policies and procedures concerning patient/ confidentiality and release of information.
- Consistently report to work on date and time scheduled without incurring tardiness.
- Take and return from scheduled breaks and meal breaks in a timely manner.
- Maintain a professional appearance and good hygiene.
- Take responsibility for own actions.
- Participate in Quality Improvement projects when applicable.
- Share expertise with all health center staff at every level in a positive manner.
- Minimum education level of associate degree, five years experience in health information management or equivalent in work experience and continuing education.
- Mininum of E.H.R certification; RHIT certification preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology, diagnostic tests, radiology, pathology, and the various medical specialties as required in areas of responsibility. Extensive knowledge of the E.M.R and clinical templates
- Knowledge of medical transcription guidelines and practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including English usage, grammar, punctuation, and style.
- Ability to use designated reference materials.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with time constraints.
- Ability to understand and present verbal instructions and to exchange verbal information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, courteous working relationships with patients/families, coworkers and others.
- Ability to concentrate.
- Ability to work in Windows-based computer environment.
- Ability to work in professional manner.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
- Primarily sedentary work, with continuous use of earphones, keyboard, foot control, and where applicable, video display terminal.
- Position is located within the Health Records Department but may require travelling to other sites and out of town when needed.
- Requires sufficient near-vision to be able to read documents and computer screen.
- Requires ability to use routine office equipment such as computer and telephone.
- Requires ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 35 pounds.
- Requires ability to stoop, kneel, bend, crouch and reach.
- Requires ability to comprehend both oral and written communications.
- O.S.H.A. Category 1: All procedures or other job-related tasks involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood, body fluids or tissues or a potential for spills or splashes of these fluids.
- HIPAA Classification: Unrestricted Access: A workforce member with unrestricted access will have full access to patient’s protected health information, including the patient’s entire medical record, for patient care purposes.
Minimum education level of associate degree, five years experience in health information management or equivalent in work experience and continuing education.
Mininum of E.H.R certification; RHIT certification preferred.
Medical, Dental and Vision. 6 Free EAP Sessions, 403B retirement plan with 3% matching after 1 year of employment, 7 Paid Holidays, 124 PTO hours within the first year, Continuing Medical Education, Paid Licensure Fees, Paid Subscription to “Up to Date”, Worksite Wellness Program and much more.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please apply online at mountainfamily.org.
Apply Online: https://www.mountainfamily.org/careers-2/